Top tips for helping hedgehogs
1. Link your garden with your neighbours by making CD case size holes in fences and walls.
2. Check thoroughly before strimming and mowing as they sleep and nest in long grass.
3. Stop using chemicals such as slug pellets as these kill their food source and can poison them.
4. Deal with netting and litter as they can get trapped.
5. Make your pond safe. They can swim but need an exit so ponds with steep sides can create a problem.
6. Create a wild area where they can forage, sleep, nest and hibernate.
7. Be careful with bonfires and compost heaps as they may use them for nesting and hibernation.
8. Put out water in hot and dry weather and food if you can, dried cat biscuits and meal worms are good.
9. Hedgehogs are nocturnal. If you see a hedgehog out in the daytime, keep it warm in a box and call a rescue centre such as East Sussex WRAS. DO NOT WAIT.